Garbage disposal is becoming a vital kitchen tool for keeping your kitchen neat and clean. Moreover, using garbage disposal ensures that the kitchen pipes will not have any blockage as this electrically powered unit grinds up the waste food if you heard the name of this tool for the first time, then how to install a garbage disposal for the first time in your kitchen.
Installing garbage disposal underneath the sink may seem difficult, but I can assure you that you get this job done by following the steps described in this article. If you want to replace a garbage disposal unit, this article will also help you a lot.
What is a Garbage Disposal Unit?
You can say a garbage disposal unit as garbage disposer, garburator, or as a waste disposal unit, an electrical device installed in the kitchen under the sink, between the trap and sink’s drain.
Tools and Materials you need for installing a garbage unit.
- A new unit of garbage disposal.
- Plumber’s putty.
- Drain’s fittings.
- Garbage disposal mounting rings.
- Channel type pilers.
- Power cord for garbage disposal.
- Extension pieces for drainpipes.
Step 1: Prepare for Installation
- At first, turn off the kitchen’s circuit breaker.
- Then, keep a bucket under the P-trap of the sink.
- Disconnect the drainpipes and water supply to the sink.
- Remove the sink strainer and excess putty (if there any).
- Unbox the garbage disposal. In the packet, you will find a mounting ring setup and a manual with the disposal unit.
Step 2: Installing Drain flange and mounting ring
- Take a rag and clean the sink around the drain opening.
- Take the plumber’ putty and roll it between hands to make a shape like a rope with the diameter of 0.5 inches and 10 inches long.
- Put the plumber’s putty around the drain flange’s underside, which will remain under the sink.
- Then, insert drain flange in the drain hole. While installing it, make sure that it is perfectly straight.
- Push the flange after inserting it so that it is correctly attached to the sink. You can do it by putting some weight (you can use garbage disposal also for this task.) on it.
- While pushing the flange, you will notice that some plumber’s putty is seeping out. Use a knife to trim the excess putty. Then clean the place with a rag.
- Now place the fiber gasket, backup ring, and mounting ring. You should use a screwdriver to screw the mounting ring tightly. To screw the mounting ring tightly, you can alternatively screw (In this method, you should screw a screw on one side then the other on the alternative side) the mounting ring.
Step 3: Attach Drainpipe connection
- Take a hammer for knocking out the drain plug from the garbage disposal.
- Remove the plug from the inlet.
- Now, you have to place the drainpipe connector and the rubber gasket.
- Then, screw them with a metal ring, which you will find in the box.
Step 4: Removing and Reattaching the wire cover plate.
- At first, remove the wire cover plate, which you will find at the disposal unit’s bottom.
- Connect the electrical for the power supply. You should match the wire colors while attaching the cord.
- After attaching, push the wire in its position and reattach the cover plate.
Step 5: Mounting the Garbage Disposal
This is the main part of the garbage disposal unit and the most solemn part also. So, if you were careful while mounting the garbage disposal. For mounting garbage disposal-
- First, raise the garbage disposal unit to the mounting rings and put the loops of garbage disposal inside the mounting rings.
- Now, spin it by your finger to lock the garbage in the mounting ring.
- Here, if you were careful that the drainpipe and the drain outlet connection are on the same side and the pipe faces the connection.
- Then, if you tightened it. You will find a key in the box for tightening. When the garbage is locked perfectly, then stop tightening.
Step 6: Connect outlet to the P-trap
- At first, measure the discharge pipe.
- Take a hacksaw and cut the pipe according to the size.
- Attach the P-trap to the garbage disposal outlet.
- Use the included gasket to attach the P-Trap or the discharge tube.
Check the Garbage Disposal
After completing all the steps, you need to check the disposal unit before real-time use. For checking-
- At first, turn on the power supply.
- Then, turn on the sink, tap, and run some water.
- Now, please turn on the garbage disposal to check that it is working correctly.
- You should check under the sink to ensure that there is not any leakage.
- Then, you can run some leftovers to check that the garbage disposal is entirely disposed of that.
FAQs about How to Install a Garbage Disposal for the First Time:
Is it easy to install a garbage disposal?
The answer is yes. But for the first time, this task may like a hard one. But if you read the directions, you will find it easy.
What are the steps to install a garbage disposal?
Installing drain flange and mounting ring, attaching drain connection, attaching electrical cord with wires of disposal, mounting the garbage disposal, and connecting P-trap/discharge pipe.
Do I need a plumber to install a garbage disposal?
It is a relatively simple job. So, if you love DIY works, then this job is for you.
This article will help you install the garbage disposal in your double or single sink easily. This tool is becoming an essential tool to keep your kitchen neat and clean. And The steps are relatively easy that you can do it by yourself. But before starting, it is better to read the instructor manual at first. And collect all the tools for installing a garbage disposal unit. It would be best if you also take necessary safety measures before installing a garbage disposal.